Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Reviews for '1924'

Here are some reviews of my new album and live performances that were emailed to me recently.
Huge thanks to those writing reviews, coming out to the shows, buying my records and making everything work the way it's supposed to. You are greatly appreciated.

Enjoy




By: Julia Pope 

Knoxville, TN
Blog: http://www.movetothemusicjp.blogspot.com

Jordan Eastman tests the limits of his musicianship in his new CD, 1924. From featuring Lauren Strahm to sound effects at the beginning or end of each song, this CD is replete of a very talented young man whose heart is truly in his music. Welcome, beautiful Lauren Strahm in “Hold to Your Anchors” and “Aweigh, My Weight! Away!”, and “1924.” Please consider it a privilege for you to sing and play with Jordan Eastman. Eastman’s favorite term of endearment for a woman is darlin’, which he uses in “Holding Bloody Hands”and “1924.” I wonder if he’s trying pick up where Conway left off. If so, Jordan, you’re doing a great job of it. For more details about the condition of his heart, please check out “1924.” He washes it, wrings it out, and hangs it up to dry. “Southern Angel,“ which is (swoon!) a sweet guitar serenade! Eastman’s low husky voice reminds me of Springsteen in “I’m on Fire.” So, are you…well…(ahem!)…(gulp) on fire for a Southern Angel? Then comes “Audrey Hepburn Would’a Loved Me.” With apologies to Mac Davis, baby, baby, don’t get hooked on me. This is one of many in which Eastman sings of keeping women at arm’s length, lest they depend on him and risk getting a very broken heart. Mentions of Southern California and Ohio bring life to the song. Jordan, if you’re on Carefree Highway sometime, please remember me to Gordon Lightfoot. What does this have to do with Audrey Hepburn? He’ll just keep you guessing. And yes, she would have loved him. They would have a lot to talk about over breakfast…at Tiffany’s. She would have made him more than “Happy Enough,”which is a cute romantic song about young, pure love, starting in Sunday school and enduring well into old age. The features that makes this song are the pedal steel guitar solo, the few lines about smoking cigarettes, and the “more and more and more and more and more.” Poetic license is attributed to Eastman for his choice of lyrics, in “Sink! Sink!”, most notably “freeze my body for research in a chamber for research in a CHAMBER, CHAMBER, CHAMBER!" And there’s a smile in his voice. For the more paradoxical kind, check out “freedom in a prison cell” and “comfort means denial” in “Who Cries Over Dead Spiders?” Or maybe even “castles in your heart” and “faith in mortar and comfort in brick I laid” in “The Wolves. He plays tambourine (with a silver jingle) in “Overwhelming Sense”! The background vocals and the clapping make me want to be in a small old-fashioned church, clapping and praising the Lord and singing along with the choir, in all their glory in their long, flowing robes. Folksy and old-time gospel at the same time. Can I hear an Amen? Jordan is a master of the lost arts in music: staggering notes in “Forever Shine Your Light”; random and unharmonious piano keys in the introduction and instrument break in the middle of “Aweigh, My Weight! Away!” and the major piano keys. Profound song title, by the way. Building up the song to where the hair on your arms will stand up, featured in that song and “Sink! Sink!”, which has beautiful but fitting musical dissonance with the harmonica and guitar-and a flatline sound at the end. And thus ends my review, sans flatline, of 1924.



By: Daniel Tiffton

Indianapolis, IN
LiveIndyReview

"When you hear the words "acoustic solo act" you think bar stools, taylor guitars, and stripped down versions of what could be decent pop songs. This is what I was expecting when I took a friend's suggestion and went to see Jordan Eastman (www.facebook.com/jordaneastmanmusic) perform in Indianapolis, IN - I was wrong.

About the only thing "solo acoustic act" about Jordan Eastman is the fact that it's just him. until the songs begin at least - then it's him and everyone else in the room singing along.
From the beginning, he gripped the audience and took me on an up and down, crowd involved roller-coaster ride, like I haven't been on at a show in years. Kicking off with a rowdy, front-porch melody that told of "Depression being as bad as death" he had the room singing while he stomped on an antique trunk like a kick drum, kicked a tambourine and blew through his harmonica.
His lyrics were great too. He had enough control of the crowd to play slow songs (without apologizing for slowing down or rushing through them) that grabbed heart and told stories that anyone who has emotion could relate to. He talked about having "a young man's body and an old man's soul", struggles with faith and trust, and looked into my soul when he said "I'm not scared of dying - just of growing old alone". He also had chanty songs. He started one by yelling "does anybody here like drinking? - I hope so because you're all doing it" then proceeded to sing an easy to sing along with song about drinking to get away from problems. He even kicked back into the chorus when the crowd wouldn't stop clapping after.
I thought this was ironic when I found out that he doesn't even drink after the show.
In one song he passed out noise makers and guided the audience to shake them and build intensity like you wouldn't believe. I am normally reserved at shows, but there were bells and horns and I felt out of place not having one and wanted to be involved, so banged on the table as hard as I could to keep up with the energy. 
If he wasn't having the crowd sing along, he was playing 3 or 4 things at once, holding his guitar behind his head, or chatting with the audience in the most charming way and telling stories about traveling.
During the last song about being "buried beneath the ocean" and "frozen in a chamber chamber chamber" he had everyone on their feet while he finished by ripping the strings off his guitar and throwing it care-free against the back wall and walking off stage like he was never there. I wanted more. Even though he played for an hour, I felt like I was only there for 15 minutes because I was enjoying the set. I couldn't believe the talent and energy just one person could bring to a room all by themselves. I felt like there were 20 people on stage and like I was a part of it all. I bought his CD after the show and listened to it on the drive home. It holds up well to the energy of his live performance and has really great songs that I would have liked to hear live - but I would still pick to see him live any day. Without a doubt he is one of the best performers I've ever seen."

No comments: